TGGBS.ORG | HOME
The Golden Gate Blues Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit affiliate of The Blues Foundation, based in Memphis, Tennessee. The purpose of The Golden Gate Blues Society is to enhance the appreciation and understanding of the Blues, especially in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. More information is available at our ABOUT page.
We need your help so that we may continue to serve you, the blues community, and to continue our many dynamic programs. If you are not yet a TGGBS member, or if your membership has expired, please visit our STORE page to join or renew. If you're not sure of your membership status, you may contact Membership Coordinator Wendy DeWitt via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also encourange donations in any amount. Donations are fully tax deductible, and there are several convenient ways to make them. If you have a PayPal account, you can click the "Donate" button below -- or you can mail a check to:
PO Box 2591
Redwood City, CA 94064
The Golden Gate Blues Society Facebook Page has over 2400 followers! We encourage you to 'Like' our page and post your events so you can reach more folks. We also encourage you to join TGGBS and help us support the music community. Please visit our Store for info on how to join. Rates are VERY reasonable (Individuals $25, Bands $40, Sponsors $200+). If you're already a member, and not sure of your current status, please send an inquiry to email@example.com. 2013 was a very good year for The Golden Gate Blues Society. We're looking forward to another great 2014-2015 IBC season! Here are some of the things we've been doing...
- Excellent bands competing spring, summer & fall of 2013 in our local IBC, with the result of sending Terrie Odabi to represent us in the Band category at the 2014 Memphis IBC, and Wendy DeWitt/Kirk Harwood representing us in the Solo/Duo category. Both groups did excellent. Please visit our IBC page for more info.
- A FREE board election party at McGovern's, San Mateo, in the spring of 2013, with Tia Carroll, Lara Price, Takezo Takeda, Michael Warren, Wendy DeWitt, Kirk Harwood, Stan Erhart and others providing music.
- A Health Fair event at Winterhawk Winery, Fairfield, in the summer of 2013, featuring Alvon Johnson and many others, which raised a significant amount of money for our fledgling health fund.
- A triple blues society show at The Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, in the early fall of 2013, featuring The Golden Gate Blues Society, The Bay Area Blues Society, and The Silicon Valley Blues Society.
- The San Francisco International Boogie Woogie Festival at SFJazz in the late fall of 2013, which raised even more dollars for our health fund.
- Myron Mu (owner of The Saloon, San Francisco) received a Keeping the Blues Alive award as a result of TGGBS nominating him.
Congratulations to our TGGBS Artists at the 2014 International Blues Challenge in Memphis!!
They made a great showing for The Golden Gate Blues Society and we're extremely proud of them. Terrie Odabi and her band received standing ovations everywhere they played, and Wendy DeWitt and Kirk Harwood made it to the Finals on Saturday, 01-25-2014, at the Orpheum Theatre. Thank you also to the many Bay Area friends who went to Memphis to support our bands, and to Myron Mu (The Saloon, SF), who received a "Keeping the Blues Alive" award for his work in booking, recording, and supporting San Francisco Bay Area blues. Here are some of the final results for the week in Memphis. For more info, please visit the Blues Foundation's website at http://blues.org/.
IBC Band Category
IBC Solo/Duo Category
- 1st Place: Mr. Sipp - Vicksburg Blues Society. Gibson Guitarist (top guitarist among band finalists): Mr. Sipp. He won a beautiful Gibson guitar featuring The Blues Foundation's logo. He also took home a Category 5 guitar amp. Each band member received a Reactor watch.
- 2nd Place: Ghost Town Blues Band - Memphis Blues Society.
- 3rd Place: Billy the Kid & Regulators - Blues Society of Western Pennsylvania.
- 1st Place: Tim Williams - Calgary Blues Music Association. St. Blues Guitarist (top guitarist among solo/duo finalists): Tim Williams was awarded a cigar box guitar by St. Blues Guitars.
- 2nd Place: Lucious Spiller - Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas Inc.
Lee Oskar Harmonica Player (top harmonica player among semi-finalists): Jerome Godboo - Toronto Blues Society.
Best Self-Produced CD: Account to Me - Hank Mowery - West Michigan Blues Society.
TGGBS has a great newsletter! ... "The Golden Gate Grooves" ... which we hope to have a new issue of soon. In the meantime, please click the icon to your left to peruse archived articles that Deb Lubin and her contributors, which include SF Bay Area working musicians, put together.
TGGBS offers links to two very good blues-related calendars for Northern California. One is from Jack Cohen, who maintains Jack's Bay Area Blues Clues, and one is from one of our sister blues societies, the Central Valley Blues Society, who has graciously shared their calendar with us. Please visit our CALENDAR page for details.