The Golden Gate Blues Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit affiliate of The Blues Foundation, based in Memphis, Tennessee. The purpose of The Golden Gate Blues Society is to enhance the appreciation and understanding of the Blues, especially in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area, through:
- Sponsorship and promotion of Blues performances.
- Educational programs and publications on the performance, interpretation, preservation, and growth of the Blues as an American art form.
- Financial and moral support of the Greater Bay Area Blues community.
- TGGBS supports our community of fans, artists, and venues by sponsoring blues shows and concerts that feature the best of Bay Area and National Blues artists.
- Golden Gate Grooves (our newsletter) is devoted to all things blues in the Bay Area: local concert & CD reviews, upcoming events, special reports from around the Bay, and much more.
- International Blues Challenge (IBC): In 2011, TGGBS sent a band to the IBC in Memphis where they placed as semi-finalists! In 2012, we sent a duo entry and a band entry, with the latter winning third place overall! In 2013, we sent a band entry again, who again placed as semi-finalists! 2014 promises to be just as good!
- Seminars for fans, musicians, and folks in the business of supporting Bay Area Blues in the Schools as an important part of our Blues legacy to our children.
- Collaboration with other Blues Societies in northern California and beyond.
- TGGBS Meetings: Where you can participate in the direction of your blues society while rubbing elbows with your Blues Buds and, of course, enjoying the Blues and a lot more!
It's Your Society
We need your participation! TGGBS can use your help in any number of areas including:
- Street Teams - to promote TGGBS events in the area
- Membership outreach
- Pro-bono legal advice
- Newsletter contributors
- Sales & marketing
- Grant proposals
- Web site update suggestions
- Blues education & seminars
- If you would like to support your blues society, regardless of time limitations, please contact us at email@example.com
For TGGBS Board Members, and ways to contact us, please visit our CONTACT page.